City of Danbury

Mom & Pop Drop Off and Recycling Center
City of Danbury 


307 White St., Danbury


Tuesday 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday 12:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Thursday 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Friday 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Saturday 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

Free to Danbury Residents (proof of residency required)
Permit fee is $5.00/day for non-residents

Payment accepted at Transfer Station:

A permit is required to use the Mom & Pop Drop Off and Recycle Center


Permit Replacement:
If you buy a new vehicle or have your windshield replaced, remove your old permit and bring to the MOM & POP office for replacement.
No replacements will be given without the old permit.



  • Plastic Bags and film DO NOT go in single stream recycling.
  • Single stream recycling should be loose and NOT bagged, bundled, boxed or shredded.
  • Styrofoam is OUT and should go in household trash.
  • Black plastics are OUT and should go in household trash.


Commercial vehicles or vehicles with loose garbage cannot use the MOM & POP.
Bulky waste, construction and demolition material is NOT accepted at the MOM & POP, but is accepted at the Oak Ridge Waste.
Please call (203) 743-0405 for pricing.


Year-Round Recycling Truck Program

Danbury Residents may drop-off single stream recycling between the hours of 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the following locations:

  • Mondays: War Memorial parking lot in Rogers Park
  • Tuesdays: Richter Park on Aunt Hack Road
  • Wednesdays: Police Athletic League parking lot on Hayestown Avenue
  • Thursdays: King Street Volunteer Fire House on South King Street
  • Fridays: Mill Plain Green in front of 65 Mill Plain Road

Click on item below for instructions on disposal or search the “Can I Recycle It” widget below. 

Where to get permit:
At the site: Mom & Pop Drop Off & Recycling Center


Can’t find what you’re looking for?  Call or email HRRA at or 203.775.4539
Click here to view the City of Danbury’s website. 

Brookfield Residents:

Where to Get Permit:

Brookfield Town Hall
Public Works Department
100 Pocono Road, Brookfield


Permit Fee: $10 annually, free for those over the age of 62

A daily non-resident permit can also be purchased at the Mom & Pop Drop-off for $5.00/day


Payment accepted at TS:

The Transfer Station observes the following holidays and is closed: 
New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

Can’t find what you’re looking for?  Call or email HRRA at or 203.775.4539
Click here to view the Town of Brookfield’s website.


Not Accepted


Do not put ammunition in the trash! People who want to dispose of old or excess ammunition should call their local police/public safety department or state police to surrender the ammunition. It will either be used by the department or disposed of properly.


Not Accepted


Antifreeze can pollute groundwater, surface water and drinking water supplies if dumped, spilled or leaked, and is harmful to pets, marine and aquatic life. You can bring your used antifreeze to a household hazardous waste collection event or facility. Check the schedule for an upcoming event.
DEEP also has special guidance on the management of used antifreeze for Auto Centers and Marinas.



Advanced Auto Parts
301 Main St Danbury, CT 06810
(203) 730-6626

Advanced Auto Parts
270 Federal Road Brookfield, CT 06804
(203) 648-9887

NOTE: Items must be clean from contaminates and NOT mixed.  These locations will accept small quantities up to a gallon at no charge.



Refrigerator*  – $55.00
Freezer* – $55.00
Window A/C * – $35.00
Dehumidifier* – $25.00
Stove/range – $30.00
Washer or dryer – $30.00
Dishwasher – $30.00
Hot Water Heater – $30.00
Garbage Compactor – $20.00
Range hood/fan – $20.00
Wood stove – $65.00
Hot tub – $65.00
Furnace/boiler – $65.00

*denotes included $12.00 Freon removal charge
Appliances with and without Freon are accepted at the transfer station.


Many of the appliances we use every day contain man-made chemicals that destroy the ozone layer — our planets natural protection against the sun’s harmful ultra-violet radiation. Refrigerators, window and car air conditioners, and dehumidifiers rely on refrigerants that contain ozone-depleting chemicals called chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HCFCs), under various trade names that contain the word “Freon.”


If not disposed of properly, these common household items can release these refrigerants into the atmosphere.


Additional Options:

  • Ask your local home appliance retailers about their refrigerator and home appliance collection programs or about the availability of refrigerant-recovery services. Sometimes, the store from which you buy a new large appliance will take back the old one.
  • Contact your local utility company about appliance recycling programs.
  • If the appliance is still in good working order, consider donating it to a local charity or family in need.
  • EPA’s Responsible Appliance Disposal Program provides additional information about proper disposal of appliances and a list of partnering utilities, retail stores and manufacturers that collect used refrigerators, freezers, window air conditioning units and dehumidifiers for proper recovery and disposal.

Not Accepted
Take to Oak Ridge Transfer Station – 307 White Street, Danbury


Asphalt Shingles
Not Accepted
Take to Oak Ridge Transfer Station – 307 White Street, Danbury

Auto Batteries

FEE: $3 each


Lead-acid batteries may not be disposed of in the trash, buried, or thrown in wetlands or waterways. These batteries contain a corrosive and toxic electrolyte that is very harmful to the environment. Connecticut law requires consumers to return their lead-acid auto batteries for recycling, and requires retailers of these batteries to accept a used battery for each battery they sell. Retail stores that sell batteries are required to accept up to three batteries from a customer that is not purchasing a new battery. Auto batteries may brought to your local Household Hazardous Waste event. Click here to check the upcoming schedule.

Battery Acid

Not Accepted

Take to a Household Hazardous Waste Event.  Click here for more information.


FEE: Free


Place Single Use / Rechargeable batteries in the Electronic Waste (E-Waste) Container at the recycling center.


Rechargeable batteries (learn more) are commonly found in cordless phones, power tools, portable electronics and cell phones. They include nickel-cadmium, nickel metal hydride, small sealed lead-acid and lithium ion batteries.

HRRA household hazardous waste (HHW) collection events accept rechargeable batteries only and will not accept alkaline and zinc carbon batteries.

Watch or Button Batteries (Silver Oxide Batteries)

Silver oxide batteries are hazardous when put in the regular trash.  Many jewelry and watch stores will recycle the silver oxide battery when you bring your watch in to have the battery replaced. If not, please bring your silver oxide batteries to the next HRRA household hazardous waste (HHW) collection. Click here to find dates and locations of the next HRRA HHW event.


FEE: Free

IMPORTANT: Pages must be ripped out of BOTH paperback and hardcover books to recycle the pages.  Book binding then goes in the trash.


Dirty, moldy, or wet books cannot be recycled or donated. Place these books in the trash.


Additional Options:

Reuse is environmentally preferable. If books are in good condition, offer them to your local library, senior center, school libraries, friends, thrift stores, swap shops, and charities


Discover Books collects unwanted books, and either resells them or redistributes them to literacy programs (the rest are recycled). Other book recycling resources include the International Book ProjectBooks for AfricaFirst Book, and Better World Books.

Bulky Waste

FEE: Varies upon item


Bathroom Vanity – $10.00
Bathtub-Cast Iron – $45.00
Bathtub-Fiberglass – $25.00
Bicycle – $5.00
Doors – Bilko – $25.00
Doors – Exterior with frame – $25.00
Doors – Interior hollow w/ frame – $10.00
Doors – Interior solid with frame – $20.00
Door – Screen Aluminum – $10.00
Door – Screen wooden – $7.00
Garage door 8′ to 12′ – $50.00
Garage door 16′ – $65.00
Grill/Gas – $20.00
Grill/Charcoal – $5.00
Metal Rack/Shelves – $6.00
Patio table – $10.00
Patio chair – $5.00 each
Sink – Kitchen / bathroom – $10.00
Sink – Kitchen Dual – $15.00
Toilet tank or bowl – $10.00
Treadmill or stationary bike – $25
Weight bench – $6.00
Wheelbarrow – $10.00
Wooden Pallet – $5.00 each


FEE: Free


Corrugated cardboard should be broken flat.


FEE: $10-$100


Currently there are no companies in CT that accept carpets or rugs for recycling. Old, dirty and used carpets are considered “bulky waste”.

Cooking Oil

Not Accepted


At home, you should never put grease, oils or fats down your drain.  When you do this, you can clog drains, sewers, or septic systems, especially during cold weather when the grease will harden quickly.  Instead, dispose of waste oils and fats in your regular trash. Hot oil should be allowed to cool. Place in a can or container before putting it into trash.


Businesses should never put grease, oils or fats down the drain/sewer or in the trash. DEEP issued a new general permit in 2005 to prevent the discharge of fats, oils and grease (FOG) from food preparation establishments to the sanitary sewer system. Learn more about FOG disposal and a FOG Model Program for businesses.  Business must containerize high-quality grease and vegetable oils (e.g., from fryolators) and have them picked up by a rendering company or biodiesel producer.

Christmas Trees

Not Accepted at Mom & Pop


Additional Options:

Throughout the month of January, the City of Danbury offers a free live Christmas tree pickup to residents.

Residents must place their live trees curbside for pick-up.

Please note that everything must be removed from the tree in order for it to be picked up. We will not accept trees still containing decorations, tinsel, lights, tree stands or other items.

This program is for LIVE trees only. No artificial trees will be picked up.

The City’s Highway Department will pick-up trees through January 31st, weather permitting.  Residents are encouraged to place their live trees curbside as close to January 4th as possible to assure your tree is picked up while the trucks are in your neighborhood.  There is no set schedule for this free program.


Live Christmas trees can also be dropped-off free of charge for Danbury residents, as “wood waste” at Ferris Mulch Products, located on Plumtrees Road.  Call 203-790-1155 for times and more information, or you can visit their website at


FEE: Varies upon item


Cast Iron bathtub – $45.00
Fiberglass bathtub – $25.00
Toilet tank or bowl – $10.00
Kitchen or bathroom sink – $10.00
Dual kitchen sink – $15.00
Garage door 8′ to 12′ – $50.00
Garage door 16′ – $65.00
Exterior doors with frame – $25.00
Interior doors – hollow w/ frame – $10.00
Interior doors – solid with frame – $20.00
Aluminum screen door – $10.00
Wooden screen door – $7.00
Bilko doors – $25.00
Bathroom Vanity – $10.00


Wood, tile, sheetrock, flooring, insulation, ceiling tiles, carpeting etc. – price to be determined. A pick-up truck “water level will be charged $100. Bigger than a pick-up will go over the scale and be charged $125 per ton.
– Demolition materials and packaging resulting from construction, remodeling, repair and demolition operations (excluding asbestos, clean fill, radioactive material, hazardous waste and large quantities of liquid and semi-liquid materials)

Electronic Waste

FEE: Free

See the list of acceptable E-waste items to dispose of at the recycling center.

Eye Glasses

Not Accepted

Fire Extinguishers

Not Accepted


Additional Options:

ACCEPTED at Fire Control Service Co.
221 Danbury Road
New Milford, CT 06776
(860) 354-6334
Fee: $10.00




All fire extinguishers are under pressure and should not be put in the regular trash. There are three varieties of fire extinguishers manufactured in the past decade: water filled, gas filled and chemical filled extinguishers. Water filled and gas (CO2) filled extinguishers are inert, and are not harmful.  The dry chemical variety can cause irritation, so extra care should be taken with these units.  Many of today’s units are rechargeable.  For a small fee you can have your fire extinguisher emptied, checked and re-filled.


FEE: Varies based on item


Sleeper sofa – $55.00
Sofa – $25.00
Love seat or recliner – $20.00
Living room chair – $10.00
Coffee table – $10.00
End table or small desk – $7.00
Large desk or dresser – $20.00
Kitchen table – $15.00
Kitchen chairs – $5.00 each


Not Accepted


Bring to your local household hazardous waste collection event. Go to to view the schedule and details.

The best way to deal with old or unwanted fuel from cars and trucks, recreational vehicles, lawn care equipment, space heaters, or heating oil storage tanks is not generate it in the first place.  If possible, don’t store motorized vehicles or equipment with fuel in them for long periods of time.  For example, run your lawnmower dry on the last day that you mow your lawn in the fall, and store it in your garage to prevent water from getting in the tank.  Plan ahead when you are buying fuel.  For example, don’t fill up your five-gallon gasoline can just before mowing the lawn for the last time in the fall, to avoid having old gas left over in the spring.  If you must store fuel for an extended period of time, add a fuel stabilizer to help keep it fresh and usable.  Fuel stabilizers can be purchased at most auto parts stores.

If you have fuel that you don’t need and it is in good usable condition, try to give it away to someone else who will use it.


FEE: Free


Place glass in separate collection container in the Recycling Center. Click here to learn more about Glass Recycling.

Window glass is separate and accepted as main stream waste

Hazardous Waste

Not Accepted


Take to a Household Hazardous Waste Event.  Click here for more information.


Household Hazardous Wastes (HHW) are household-generated wastes or unused products that are hazardous in nature, but are not regulated as hazardous waste, since they are generated in households. Included are such items as old stains, paints, and paint related products, pesticides, pool chemicals, drain cleaners, mercury-containing products such as thermostats and thermometers, and degreasers and other household and car care products.

The best method of managing HHW is to prevent its generation in the first place. When purchasing household and car care products, select the least toxic item needed to do the job, and buy only the minimum amount necessary.

To discard any leftover or unused material, it should be taken to your local Hazardous Household Waste collection center or one-day collection event. For information on dates and times in your area, visit

Ink Cartridges

FEE: Free

Place in the E-waste container


Additional Options:
Many toner and ink cartridges can be refilled and reused at least 6 times. Many retail stores such as Best BuyTargetStaples, and Office Depot or on-line retailers like will either refill your cartridge or provide payment or credits when you recycle cartridges.  Some companies such as Hewlett PackardEpson, and Xerox provide recycling services for their own cartridges. These services often involve ordering a prepaid envelope to mail cartridges directly back to the manufacturer.

Lawn Equipment


Push lawn mower – $15
Ride lawn mower – $50
Weed Whacker – $10
Snow blower – $45
Electric snow shovel – $10
Wheelbarrow – $10
Swing set/metal – $25
Swing set/wooden – $35
Yard Tools – $1 each
Chain Saw – $15
Hedge Trimmer – $3 / $6
Golf bag – $5
Golf club – $1 each
Lawn chair – $3
Picnic Table – $20
Picnic benches – $10
Patio table – $10
Patio Chair – $5 each

Light Bulbs

FEE: Free
Place CFL/Fluorescent bulbs in the e-waste container.
Incandescent Bulbs are to be placed in the trash.
Holiday lights are accepted in the e-waste container.


Fluorescent Bulbs
Fluorescent bulbs come in various shapes and sizes. Some are the traditional, 2-, 4-, or 8-foot-long “tube” type bulb. Others include the newer “compact” fluorescent lights (CFLs) that screw in like a regular incandescent bulb. All of them contain varying amounts of the toxic metal mercury, and should not be disposed of in the regular trash.

Residents can also bring any brand of CFL, regardless of where it was purchased, to any Connecticut Home Depot store.  IKEA stores also accept CFLs for recycling.


Incandescent Bulbs

Incandescent bulbs include traditional screw-in line bulbs, and come in various sizes and shapes (e.g., round bulbs, and cone-shaped flood and spot lights). They include traditional tungsten-element light bulbs, as well as the newer halogen lamps. All of these types of bulbs may be disposed of in the regular trash. If you use these lamps, though, you should consider switching over to fluorescent bulbs — or, even better, the newer LED lamps — since they can provide dramatic energy savings, which in return reduces air pollution emissions from electrical generation plants.


Holiday String Lighting

Both incandescent and LED holiday lights are recyclable. By recycling your broken and outdated lights, you’ll keep the toxins in the electric cables out of the incinerator.

Home Depot and Whole Foods Market have coordinated seasonal trade-in or recycling collection programs at different locations and may offer discount coupons in exchange.  These programs usually run for only a week or two sometime between October and December.

Other options include mailing your broken or obsolete lights to a number of retailers, including Christmas Light Source in Fort Worth, Texas and Five Star Holiday Décor in Springville, UT, which sell your old lights to raise funds for the Toys for Tots program. in Jackson, Missouri recycles your old holiday lights and offers a 15% discount on your next purchase of LED lights.


Recyclable Mailers:

  • Bubble mailers that have a plastic outer cover (not paper mailers with bubble wrap inside), go in the plastic film container.  Before recycling, remove the adhesive label


Non-Recyclable Mailers

  • Padded envelopes with plastic bubble inside and paper outside should be put in the trash.
  • Metallic/silver colored plastic padded envelopes (metallic on outside cover or inside) are not accepted in curbside recycling program.  These items should be put in the trash.


Consider posting packaging items on your local Buy Nothing Facebook group, Free Cycle or checking with local Mom & Pop shipping companies for reuse opportunities.




Clean & Dry Mattresses and Box Springs:
FEE: Free


Wet & Soiled:
FEE: Twin/Full – $20.00
Queen/King – $30.00
Box Spring – $20.00


See complete Mattress Recycling Council Guidelines here

Metal Scrap

FEE: $10 – $100

Motor Oil

Not Accepted



Advanced Auto Parts
301 Main St Danbury, CT 06810
(203) 730-6626

336 Main Street Danbury, CT 06810
(203) 739-0376

195 Federal Road Brookfield, CT 06840
(203) 740-8315

Jiffy Lube
112 Federal Rd Danbury, CT 06810
(203) 791-2382

Limestone Service Station
399 Danbury Road Ridgefield, CT 06877
(203) 438-8028

Minuteman Lube
413 Main St Danbury, CT 06810
(203) 792-4340

NOTE: Items must be clean from contaminates and NOT mixed.  These locations will accept small quantities up to a gallon at no charge.



Household “do-it-yourselfers” often generate used oil and filters from the maintenance of cars, trucks, lawn and garden equipment, and recreational vehicles. Connecticut law requires every town in the State to provide its residents with a way to properly dispose of the used oil generated by their residents. Most towns meet this requirement by providing an oil collection tank at the town transfer station or recycling facility for their residents to use. Some Household Hazardous Waste Collection may also accept used motor oil. In addition to collecting “do-it-yourselfer” (DIY) oil, many towns also collect used oil filters. Check with the recycling coordinator at your town or city hall for information on the services available in your area.

If your town does not accept used oil or filters, check with a local service station or an Auto Parts Store to see if they will accept it. Used oil may never be disposed of in the trash. Filters may be disposed of in the trash, but should be punctured and drained for 24 hours first. Be sure to collect the oil that drains from the filter, and place it in the same container as your used oil.

You should never do any of the following:

  • Never mix DIY oil with antifreeze, other vehicle fluids, or hazardous waste;
  • Never burn DIY oil in residential boilers or space heaters;
  • Never pour DIY oil into sewers or storm drains;
  • Never dump DIY oil on the ground, use it for weed control, or to keep dust down.

For more information, see the DEEP’s “Do-it-Yourselfer” Used Oil Fact Sheet and EPA’s Guidance document about preventing PCB contamination issues.

MSW/Household Trash

13 gallon bag $3.00
30 gallon bag $4.00
40 gallon bag $5.00
50 (and over) gallon bag $10.00

Organics (Food)

Not Accepted


Are you hungry to rescue food? Click HERE.

Paints & Stains

Not Accepted


Additional Options:
Bring to your local Household Hazardous waste Collection event. Click here for the schedule and locations.


CT is a proud participant of the PaintCare product stewardship program. Click here to find a drop-off location near you.


Not Accepted


Take to a Household Hazardous Waste Event.  Click here for more information.


Not Accepted
Take to the Danbury Police Station.


Additional Options:
Do not throw prescription medicines or over-the-counter (OTC) products down the sink or toilet. Although using the toilet or sink prevents someone from accidentally taking the medications, disposing of them in this way causes water pollution and has adverse effects on septic systems, sewage treatment plants, fish and other aquatic wildlife.

Consumers have several options to dispose of medicines and OTC products:

  • Put them in the trash following these disposal instructions. In CT, most of our trash is burned at Resource Recovery Facilities at high temperatures that destroy these products.
  • Chain pharmacies such as CVS, Walgreens and Rite Aid provide disposal envelopes for prescription and OTC products for a small fee. Ask your pharmacist for details and program restrictions.
  • The federal government and some towns offer periodic medicine collections where residents can bring prescription medicines, veterinary medicines and OTC products for safe disposal. But they are not regularly scheduled and are sometimes limited to residents of the sponsoring town. (Medicines cannot be brought to Household Hazardous Waste collections.)
  • Many towns have installed special drop boxes for permanent disposal of used medications at local police departments.  Use this web tool to look for a drop-off location near you.
Plastic Film

Not Accepted


Bring plastic bags and plastic film to your local grocery store and place in the collection bin. To learn more , see what’s accepted, and to find a location near you, click here.

Propane Tanks

FEE: $10 each (empty)
1lb Take to HHW



130 White Street, Danbury
$5 per tank
(203) 748-3535


Before purchasing a new propane tank, consider using a tank/cylinder exchange program such as AmeriGas and Blue Rhino now available at many hardware stores, convenience stores, home improvement stores, and large retailers.  Many of these exchange programs will accept old tanks with the purchase of a new, full tank.  Take note that some of these exchange companies install valves on their tanks that can only be refilled by that company, meaning that you will be locked into their tank-for-tank service, and won’t be able to get the tank refilled at your local propane dealer.  Learn more about recycling your propane tank.

Observe the following safety precautions in regard to discarding your old tank:

  • Do not throw your tank in the trash.
  • Propane is very explosive! Do not attempt to puncture or remove the valve from your tank because tanks usually contain small amounts of propane, even if you think they are empty.

FEE: Free


Click here to learn more about what can go IN the recycling bin and which items are OUT.


Sharps used at home are not regulated as biomedical waste. However, throwing them in the household trash or flushing them down the toilet presents serious risks for both you and others who may come in contact with such items. Improper disposal of sharps can lead to:

  • Needle-stick injuries that cause infection and spread disease;
  • Injuries to curious children, waste haulers, recycling workers, and animals; or
  • Needles washing up on our beaches and riverbanks.

Instead, the DEEP recommends checking with your supplier (i.e. your physician, local hospital, or pharmacy) to see if they are willing to accept properly packaged used sharps. Some companies offer mail-back disposal services to their customers.  See DEEP’s “Sharps” Brochure for more detail on proper sharps disposal.

To properly dispose of sharps/needles:

  • Seal them in rigid, puncture-resistant containers that you can’t see through (i.e. bleach or detergent bottles, coffee cans, etc.);
  • Label the containers “Do Not Recycle;” and
  • Reinforce containers with heavy-duty tape before throwing them in your household trash.


  • Throw loose needles in the trash;
  • Flush needles down the toilet;
  • Place needles in soda bottles, cans, or glass containers; or
  • Put sharps containers in the recycling bin.
Shredded Paper



Only loose shredded paper may be placed in the Blue Toter, nothing else. Carry bags or boxes can be recycled correctly elsewhere.

Swap Shop

Not Available

Textiles (Clothes, Etc)

FEE: Free


For textiles no longer wearable/usable, there is a collection container at the drop-off center.
Accepted items include clothing, footwear, accessories and linens. Items may be ripped, stained or otherwise, but they must be dry and bagged for deposit into the bins. Click Here to see what’s accepted


Not Accepted


Additional Options:

-Plan B Tires, located in Danbury & New Milford. Click here for more information.

-Belardinelli Tire Company, located in Bethel. Click here for more information.

-When purchasing new tires, the old tires can be left at the retail store (for a fee).

-There are also private facilities that accept tires.


Not Accepted

Yard Waste

Not Accepted


Brush/Residential – Truck:
FEE: $12
All brush must be bundled. Maximum size accepted 3’X 3′ long. Cost is $12.00 per bundle.


Yard Waste – Station Wagon:
Not Accepted


Not Accepted


Grass Clippings:
Not Accepted
Leave them on the lawn where they will decompose and act as a natural organic fertilizer.


Wood Chips:
Not Accepted


Tree Stumps:
Not Accepted


Mixed Load:
Not Accepted


Wood Bagged:
FEE: $15 – $25

Stone Bagged:
FEE: $15 – $25


Additional Options:
Ferris Mulch Products 
6 Plumtrees Rd., Danbury
Accepted: brush, logs, stumps, shrub trimmings, leaves, garden waste, and wood chips for recycling
For Danbury city residents there is no charge for dropping brush (under 2” in diameter) and leaves. Danbury residents must stop in at the office and present proof of residency with a valid driver’s license or tax bill and picture ID.