Currently, only 15% of used clothing and textiles are being recycled. The other 85% goes straight to our landfills and incinerators and the majority of people don’t know they can recycle those unused textiles and help reduce the negative environmental impact.
95% of consumer textiles can be recycled to be re‐worn or re‐used. Wearable items are either sold or distributed by charities. A portion of donations go to developing countries where there is increasingly high demand. Unwearable items are cut into wiping cloths and rags or ground up into fiber to manufacture stuffing, insulation and carpet underlayment.