Connecticut law requires haulers/collectors to register with each municipality in which they collect solid waste, including recycling and C&D.  Municipal registration fees vary and are set by each municipality.

HRRA permits and municipal registrations for all HRRA municipalities can all be renewed at the same time using the same form and paying with one check or credit card through HRRA.

New Haulers/Collectors who either report themselves as a new business or are identified and notified by the authority have 30 days from the day of initial notice to comply with all state regulations and HRRA requirements to register with each municipality they are doing business in and obtain a permit for each operating vehicle.

Penalty fees will be applied to permit and municipal registrations that are late.  There is a base late fee of $1000. All municipal and permit fees double, and access to the transfer stations may be suspended if any information is incomplete or missing.


Municipal Registration & HRRA Permitting forms for 2023-24

Due July 31, 2023 by 4:00pm

Important notice:  The annual registration and permit application is now an online application.  However, you are still required to submit a notarized sworn affidavit (FORM B) by mail or in person.

Forms & Documents for 2023-24

Annual Registration & Permit Application

CLICK HERE for the annual application for municipal registration and permit application

It is recommended that you create an account before you begin so that you may return to the application at any time.
Application is due by July 31, 2023, 4:00pm.


NEW beginning August 1, 2023 ALL TRUCKS being used to collect solid waste in the HRRA region must have a permit affixed to its vehicle.


Permits to access the transfer station for municipal solid waste are $250 per truck.
There is no permit fee for non-MSW vehicles.

FORM B - Agreements and Sworn Affidavit

CLICK HERE to view and print this FORM B.

This form must be notarized and returned to the HRRA via mail or by person no later than July 31st at 4pm.

CT DEEP Annual Municipal Solid Waste and Recycling Report

You are required by the State of Connecticut to submit an annual solid waste and recycling report for each municipality in which you collect solid waste.


Use the links below to fill out a form for EACH municipality in which you collect.

New Fairfield
New Milford

HRRA Recyable Material Guidelines

Click Here to print the guidelines

In an effort to enhance the quality of the recycling stream in the HRRA region and to defray increased processing cost, Oak Ridge Waste and Recycling will be implementing contamination fees on loads with more than 6% contamination.


Contamination means that portion of Recyclable Materials delivered to the Danbury Recycling Facility or the MRF that consists of material that is not specified as Recyclable Material in Appendix B-2, of the Regional Solid Waste and Recycling Agreement between the HRRA and Oak Ridge.


Appendix B-2 Recyclable Materials/Facility Delivery Standards: Recyclable Materials means all items designated from time to time by the Commissioner of DEEP pursuant to the provisions of Section 22a – 241 b(a) of the General Statutes as suitable for recycling and such other items as are designated from time to time by HRRA.


Mixed Recyclables means all Recyclable Material delivered to the Danbury Recycling Facility or the MRF from generators within the applicable Participating Municipalities in commingled single or dual stream. If any load of Mixed Recyclables contains more than 6 percent (6%) weight or volume of Nonrecyclable or Contaminants, Article IV of the Agreement shall apply.


Recyclable Material delivered to the Danbury Recycling Facility or the MRF Facility shall be free of dirt, food, and other liquid or solid residue material. Mixed glass bottles and cans may be delivered with labels, neck rings and caps.


OAK RIDGE WASTE AND RECYCLING will accept at the Danbury Recycling Facility or the MRF and either transfer to the MRF, as applicable, or otherwise process and sell all Products derived from HRRA Recyclable Material delivered to the Danbury Recycling Facility or the MRF by or on behalf of HRRA and the applicable Participating Municipalities, which acceptance, processing and sale shall be undertaken at OAK RIDGE WASTE AND RECYCLING’s sole cost and expense in accordance with the terms of the Agreement. OAK RIDGE WASTE AND RECYCLING will accept such deliveries of HRRA Recyclable Material at the Danbury Recycling Facility and the MRF on an equal, non-discriminatory basis, as among the various Collectors, including any Collector that is an Affiliate of OAK RIDGE WASTE AND RECYCLING, with respect to hours of access, waiting times, tip fees and other conditions applicable to Collectors making such deliveries.


Identification, Rejection, or Processing of Non-Recyclable Material or Recyclable Material Not Conforming to Facility Delivery Standards. OAK RIDGE WASTE AND RECYCLING shall be responsible to inspect vehicles delivering Recyclable Material to the Danbury Recycling Facility and the MRF. OAK RIDGE WASTE AND RECYCLING’s obligation to accept and process HRRA Recyclable Material from Collectors shall not restrict or limit OAK RIDGE WASTE AND RECYCLING’s obligation to inspect all vehicles delivering Recyclable Material to the Danbury Recycling Facility or the MRF to determine whether such vehicle contains Hazardous Waste, Non-Recyclable Material in excess of Facility Delivery Standards or Recyclable Material not conforming to Facility Delivery Standards set forth in Appendix B-2. If during any such vehicle inspection, OAK RIDGE WASTE AND RECYCLING determines that the vehicle is delivering Recyclable Material not conforming to said Facility Delivery Standards, OAK RIDGE WASTE AND RECYCLING shall require the Collector to remove the vehicle from the Site. OAK RIDGE WASTE AND RECYCLING shall immediately notify HRRA of any such rejection stating the date and time of rejection, the Collector and driver’s name, the Participating Municipality of origin, and the reason(s) for rejection and shall follow this with a report in writing of the same information within two (2) calendar days delivered to HRRA.


If a load of Recyclable Material is unloaded onto the Danbury Recycling Facility or MRF tipping floor, and OAK RIDGE WASTE AND RECYCLING determines that said load contains Hazardous Waste, Non-Recyclable Material in excess of
Facility Delivery Standards or Recyclable Material not conforming to Facility Delivery Standards set forth in Appendix B-2, OAK RIDGE WASTE AND RECYCLING shall immediately notify HRRA. The load shall be processed, if reasonably possible, and any costs, in addition to normal operating costs associated with processing a load of conforming Recyclable Materials, shall be charged to the Collector, provided however, if the Collector cannot be determined or if the nonconforming materials were delivered by someone other than a Collector, shall be the responsibility of OAK RIDGE WASTE AND RECYCLING.


If a load of Recyclable Material described above cannot be processed because it is contaminated with Hazardous Waste, OAK RIDGE WASTE AND RECYCLING will promptly notify HRRA and follow the guidelines in accordance with its DEEP permit, as follows: “Ensure that any unacceptable solid waste inadvertently received, or solid waste which is unsuitable for processing at the [Facility] is: (i) promptly sorted, separated, isolated and temporarily stored in a safe manner prior to off-site transport; (ii) recorded in the daily log and reported in the quarterly report required by this document; and (iii) disposed at a facility lawfully authorized to accept such waste. A spare container shall be available
for any storage emergency.”


It is the responsibility of each hauler to know the Connecticut recycling laws. Haulers are encouraged to read the complete text of the laws by using the links posted on the HRRA website or the CT General Assembly website.


It is also the responsibility of each hauler to educate their customers to recycle right. The HRRA is dedicated to providing public education and outreach to all residents, businesses, and municipalities. HRRA has adopted the State of Connecticut universal guide What’s In What’s Out. This guide of what residents should and should not recycle should be used by all haulers to reduce contamination. Registered haulers may request copies of any education material listed on the HRRA website for distribution at no charge.

Haulers should email the request to

DOT Inspection Requirement

For the safety of the public and transfer station operators, a copy of the RECORD OF ANNUAL INSPECTION must be submitted with any and all vehicles the applicant will be using to conduct business in the HRRA region and for which an inspection is required by state or federal law. A hauler must not use any such vehicle unless each component identified on the RECORD OF  ANNUAL INSPECTION has passed an inspection by a qualified inspector who has training or certification to inspect and maintain commercial motor vehicles at least once during the preceding 12 months. Safety inspections can be performed at either a DMV office equipped for inspections or at designated emissions inspection stations run by the state’s emissions inspection contractor. Inspections are performed at the DMV facilities in Danbury, Enfield, Hamden, Northwest (Winsted), Old Saybrook, Waterbury, Wethersfield, and Willimantic and at the emissions inspection stations in Bridgeport, Danbury, Darien, East Lyme, Manchester, North Haven, North Windham, Southington, Taftville, Thomaston, and Waterbury.

Transfer Station Rules

Click Here to print the Transfer Station Rules

Recycling Permit #0340199 – Transfer Date 4/21/2011
MSW & C&D Permit #0340946 – Issuance Date 7/1/2010
Monday-Friday: 6:00am to 5:00pm
Saturday: 6:00am to 1:00pm


* Unacceptable Waste: Recyclable Materials, Hazardous Waste, Explosives, Liquid Waste, Asbestos, Motor Vehicle Parts, Tires, Animal Products, Ashes, Human or Animal Remains, Offal (internal organs of a butchered animal), American Flags, Pathological or Biological Waste, Pressurized Containers, Radioactive Materials, Sealed Drums, Sludge, and Tar.


** Hard hat and reflective safety vest/jacket/shirt worn AT ALL TIMES

Insurance Requirements and Sample COI

Click Here to print the General and Auto Liability Policy 

A. Agent’s / Broker’s name, address, and fax number.
B. Your business name and address.
C. Name of insurance companies issuing your policies.
D. HRRA, and all HRRA municipalities in which the hauler/collector works must be listed as additional insureds on all policies except those for workers’ compensation and employer’s liability insurance. Oak Ridge must be listed as additional insured on all policies except those for workers’ compensation and employer’s liability insurance if a permit for Oak Ridge is sought.
Sample language: The Housatonic Resources Recovery Authority (HRRA), all HRRA member municipalities, and Oak Ridge Transfer Stations, LLC are all additional insureds under the General Liability and Automobile Liability policies.
F. The Named Insured must include the name of the Company to be permitted by HRRA as well as the owner’s name listed on the motor vehicle registration of any and all permitted vehicles.
G. HRRA must receive notice at least 30 days prior to cancellation of insurance policies.
H. HRRA must have the original certificate bearing the original signature.
I. HRRA’s name and address must appear as follows:
Housatonic Resources Recovery Authority, Old Town Hall, 162 Whisconier Road, Brookfield, CT 06804


Insurance Coverage Requirements:
Commercial General Liability insurance policy that includes products, operations and completed operations.
• Limits should be at least: Bodily injury & property damage with an occurrence limit of $1,000,000; Personal & advertising injury limit of $1,000,000 per occurrence; General aggregate limit of $2,000,000 (other than products and completed operations); Products and completed operations aggregate limit of $2,000,000.
• Such coverage will be provided on an occurrence basis and will be primary and shall not contribute in any way to any insurance or self-insured retention carried by the additional insureds.
• Such coverage shall contain a broad form contractual liability endorsement or similar wording within the policy form; and Automobile Liability
Option A: Symbol 1 (Any Auto)
Option B: Symbols 2; 8; 9 (Owned, Hired, Non-Owed)
Option C: Symbols 7; 8; 9 (Scheduled, Hired, Non-Owed)


With a minimum combined single limit coverage of not less than one million ($1,000,000.00) dollars on a per occurrence basis; and Workers’ Compensation Insurance in such amounts as required by Connecticut law or certificate of self-insurance issued by the State of Connecticut’s Board of Compensation Commissioners pursuant to Section 31-284 of the Connecticut General Statutes; and Employer’s Liability Insurance with limits no less than $500,000 each accident by bodily injury; $500,000 each accident by disease; and a policy limit of $500,000

Hauler Enforcement Policy
Transfer Stations
Tip Fees

Current MSW Tip Fees

  • July 1, 2023 to June 30, 2024 HRRA MSW Hauler Tip Fee $99.99 ton
  • As of Nov. 2, 2021 additional MSW Tip Fee Transportation Surcharge $4.50 ton
  • As of Feb. 19, 2024  MSW Tip Fee Fuel Surcharge reduced from $2.00 ton to $.55 ton
  • The MSW tip fee increases annually on July 1st $1.56 ton

Current Recycling Tip Fees

  • Effective January 1, 2024 to March 31, 2024 -HRRA Recycling Hauler Tip Fee is $70.34 per ton

Municipal Solid Waste Laws

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I required to register through HRRA?

By CT General Statue Sec. 22a-220a.(d)(1)  and by local ordinance, haulers must register with each town in which they collect and haul solid waste, including trash, recyclables, C&D and bulky waste.

What is the definition of a hauler?

(d) (1) Any collector hauling solid waste generated by residential, business, commercial or other establishments, including, but not limited to, recyclables generated within the borders of a municipality, shall register annually in such municipality and disclose: (A) The name and address of the collector and the owner of such collection company; (B) the name of any other municipality in which such collector hauls such solid waste, including recyclables; (C) whether the hauling done by such collector is residential, commercial or other; (D) the types of waste hauled; (E) the anticipated location of any disposal facilities or end users receiving recyclable solid waste; and (F) any additional information that such municipality requires to ensure the health and safety of its residents.


Here is the link to the state statue and requirement for Haulers/Collectors to register with the municipalities they do business in:  CGS 22a-220a  

What is the first step when starting my registration & permit application?

Contact your insurance agent and request a Certificate of Insurance (COI) on an ACORD form. Send the COI to HRRA for review.


Do not wait until the last minute to contact your insurance agent for the COI. It is recommended that you email the COI to HRRA as soon as possible to allow time for changes, if necessary.


This is often the most time consuming step and may result in the application getting submitted past the deadline if changes are necessary to meet the HRRA insurance requirements.

Can I email my HRRA Municipal and Permit Application?

You may email your application to HRRA for review, however HRRA requires the original notarized application.

You can mail the original application, postmarked by the due date, or drop it off to the HRRA office. If dropping off, please call ahead to make arrangements.

Can I mix Recycables with Municipal Solid Waste?


It is illegal for trash haulers to knowingly mix items designated for recycling with other solid waste. (Also, trash haulers must (1) warn customers they suspect of violating separation requirements and (2) help towns identify customers whose loads are found by a resource recovery facility to have significant quantities of recyclables (CGS § 22a-220c).


Under CGS § 22a-220(f), a trash hauler who knowingly mixes items designated for recycling with other solid waste is subject to a penalty of up to $2,500 for a first violation and up to $10,000 for any subsequent violation. CGS § 22a-226d also allows municipalities to establish, by ordinance, a penalty of up to $1,000 for a violation of this statute. And CGS § 22a-226 allows the court to assess a civil penalty of up to $25,000 for a violation of the solid waste management chapter, which includes trash haulers. It is unclear under what circumstances a specific penalty would apply.


Public Act 10-87 (§ 3) prohibits anyone, including trash haulers, from knowingly combining previously segregated designated recyclable items with other solid waste.


For more information click here

Do I need an HRRA permit?

As of the 2023-24 fiscal year, all trucks used to collect solid waste material in the HRRA region are required to have a registration/permit sticker affixed to each truck.


Permits to access the transfer station for MSW are $250 per truck.
Permits to use for collection only are $0 per truck.


With the $250 HRRA active permit, trucks can enter the transfer station and receive the HRRA hauler tip fee for MSW and recycling. All MSW needs to be under 4 feet.
For current tip fees, click on the “Tip Fees” dropdown.

Can I get a temporary permit for a replacement truck?

If you have a truck out of commission for a few days and need to use a replacement truck, HRRA can issue a temporary permit for the replacement.


To request a temporary permit:

  • Contact HRRA as soon as possible to inform them the truck is down.
  • Email a copy of the motor vehicle registration & DOT inspection (if applicable) to HRRA.
    • Include the timeframe of how long you expect your truck to be in the shop.
  • HRRA will issue the temporary permit valid for the requested dates only. There is no fee for a temporary permit, it is a permit swap.
Can I collect Hazardous Waste Material?


Per CT State law, section 22a-454 no person shall collect, store, or treat hazardous waste material without a permit from CT DEEP.
Under no circumstance can hazardous waste be collected without a permit.

If you are interested in collecting hazardous waste, you may contact CT DEEP and complete the permit process.

Recycling Laws

Other Solid Waste & Recycling Information